In which I cover the current state of racism in queer/feminist fandom. Newsflash: it’s even more racist than previous years and yet, next year will be worse!
- How Twitter can ruin a life
- Melina Pendulum – Purity Culture & Fandom … Issa Mess
- Sarah Z – Fandom’s Biggest Controversy: The Story of Proshippers vs Antis
- The history of tensions — and solidarity — between Black and Asian American communities, explained
- Yun Jin – Genshin Impact character
- A popular influencer is under fire for racism and rude behavior while attending ATEEZ’s fan meeting
- Reylo fans attempt to get black writer fired from Teen Vogue
- White Fannish Entitlement Strikes Again
- Tyler Hoechlin is apparently Native and so is Derek Hale
- BlackSwan Fatou vs Leia
- [more links incoming]
0:00:01.8: State of Fandom Racism, 2021.
In 2021, Fandoms got more racist, so much more racist. Sure, the dude bros’ mad that anyone not like them gets cast and things are up and about, but my focus is on queer feminist Fandom, and friends, it’s a scary fact that so few of you realize how deeply enmeshed open, white supremacist ideologies and languages are in these spaces. Think about how often people use ‘woke’ in a derogatory way, about fans of color talking about racism, and you might start to see a corner of the full picture.
Queer/Feminist Fandom in 2021 has been a place where people are openly racist in the defense of whatever they like or care about in Fandom, it doesn’t matter what they’re into. It just matters that they feel as though their side is the right side, and that justifies being super racist in its defense.Read More »